Monday, August 11, 2008

...there wouldn't be so many options for so many things!

So as I change diaper after diaper I start to feel guilty about how long it's going to take them to biodegrade. I know, I sound like a tree-hugger. It's true though. I took out the garbage from the nursery (pee diapers only) and it was an entire bag FULL of them...and that was just from one week! Do you know how many that is? A TON! There's also that small detail called money. A pack of 36 diapers for this past weekend at the lake cost us $11. A larger pack is $20. You add that up over time and that's a TON of money too.

So gone are the days of cloth diapers with scary pins. They now have these awesome diapers that don't require a waterproof cover and you don't have to worry about sticking the baby with the pin when diapering him. They *look* super easy and very similar to the disposable ones, only you wash them in the washer. So B and I are thinking about switching over. We're doing our research now to see if it's something we're interested in.

It's a big investment up front, like $500. But that will last until he's potty-trained. These new, awesome diapers grow with the baby so you don't have to buy over and over again. Plus, we'd spend way more than that over time on disposables. The trouble is that there are so many different kinds...and so much to learn about how to clean them and take care of them. We can't decide if it's worth it or if we'd get sick of doing it after investing all the money.

Ugh. It's such a tough decision. One that we're going to chew on for a while. I think part of me feels like since I couldn't breastfeed him maybe I should do my part to take care of his world for when I'm gone. I don't know...maybe I'm crazy. Hell, we know I'm crazy...maybe I'm certifiable. :-)

New pic of M...after his bath when we got home from the lake. He was covered in sunscreen and sour milk that had drained down his neck and gotten on his hands. He smelled HORRID. He was sooooooooo happy to finally be clean!

No comments: