Wednesday, June 25, 2008

...people wouldn't have repeat devastation.

The wife of a co-worker of B's had a miscarriage early last year. It really effected them big time and they were scared to try again for a long time. Well they did eventually try again and they were successful about 15 weeks or so after us. Everything seemed fine and they waited until they were out of the first trimester to announce their pregnancy.

Fast forward to their big ultrasound, which takes place anywhere from 18-22 weeks. They didn't even find out the sex of the baby at the ultrasound because the baby was measuring too small. Apparently it was so small that it was cause for concern. This co-worker and his wife are pretty private about their situation...so Brad doesn't get a lot of detailed information. We never heard anything else about the size of the baby...so we assume they either determined it was okay OR they were just going to play it by ear and let the chips fall where they may.

Fast forward again to 2 weeks go. She began leaking amniotic fluid. The doctors gave them a few different options: 1) Deliver early and lose the baby, 2) Carry the baby to full-term and deliver a stillborn, 3) Strict bedrest hoping to avoid anymore leaking and hold out until they could deliver the baby more safely. She was admitted to the hospital last week and would remain in there until the baby came-whenever that would be.

They ended up having to deliver the baby on Monday night. The baby was a girl, she was too small to survive. She lived about 10 minutes before she lost the fight. I can't imagine how devastated they are. They are really good people and I just can't imagine why they have had to go through these two losses. I honestly can't imagine how I would survive if I lost M at any point in our pregnancy. I can't even empathize with them because it makes my heart hurt too much. I feel like I should do something for them as a fellow human being, but at the same time I think anything coming from someone who is carrying a full-term baby would be very hard to take for them.

So please keep them in your thoughts and prayers...they're going to need help to get through this and come out stronger in the end.

No comments: