Wednesday, December 16, 2009

...we would all be happy regardless of what holiday we're celebrating.

I am so sick to death of hearing people complain about when people tell them “Happy Holidays”. (No this is not directed at anyone in particular, just Americans in general.) Is it really that hard to graciously say “Merry Christmas” back to someone who tells you “Happy Holidays”? At least they’re not telling you to go to hell. They’re trying to be kind to you and trying not to offend anyone in the process. Is “Jesus the reason for the season”? Perhaps for you, but not for everyone.

It’s amazing to me how many people that claim to be Christian people are so concerned with putting the “christ” back in Christmas when really if they’d just quit their complaining they could focus on the spirit of Christmas. Christmas is supposed to be a time of giving, caring, hope, joy and peace. Remember that piece about the angels and the birth of Christ…I believe they said “Peace on Earth, goodwill toward man”. Uhm, let’s bring that back. I think those angels had something there. I don’t believe they were talking about only people who celebrate Christmas when they said that.

How about we all just be happy to be alive and be comfortable enough with our own faith that we recognize how dumb a “Holiday Tree” is without having to make a spectacle of ourselves? Or we understand that having a Santa in your Nativity scene is just plain silly? Let’s take a look on the bright side of things: We live in a country where we can worship whoever, whatever, however, and basically whenever we want. We have freedom, thanks to my brother and brave souls like him and of course our forefathers who were thinking way ahead of their time with those clever “Freedom of Religion”, “Freedom of Speech”, and all those other lovely freedoms we enjoy everyday.

So people, I beg of you, please…in the spirit of Christmas please feel free to celebrate whatever you want, however you want. Just please do so with a smile on your face and a little tolerance for others.

With that said, here are a few fun pictures from our Christmas festivities. We went to the Louisville Stoneware Company and painted pottery with our former neighbors and good friends, the Macy family. We also made/decorated cookies Sunday for the first time with Miles. He enjoyed it a great deal as you can tell from the pictures.


2 comments:

Jill said...

I could not agree with you MORE! Just yesterday I got a forward from my MIL with the "Jesus is the reason for the season" message. I have several friends who are Jewish, and I feel offended for them. You're right -- we are completely forgetting the true meaning of the season in this squabbling over which holiday/religion is most important.

Emily said...

Yep, Jill I have so many friends/family that get upset about this...and not just them though. I think if it were just them I wouldn't be so annoyed by it. But it's all over the news, at work, at the grocery, EVERYWHERE. It's insane that it's such an issue. Let's all have some 'nog and get on with things!