Tuesday, December 6, 2011

I'm one proud mama.

So we all know my Dad is very sick.  He looks a little scary now...or I thought he would to Miles.  He has lost a large amount of weight.  So he's very, very thin and he's lost all of his hair.  His beard is more of a goatee these days and is thinning out considerably.  He has a urostomy bag, a colostomy bag, a g-tube (to drain the fluid off his abdomen and potentially to feed him by), and another spot that is capped off...all on his belly.  His belly looks like a science experiment basically.

When we were over Sunday, Mom was cleaning Dad's belly because the tape they use was irritating his skin and creating sores.  So he had his shirt up, was in pain and was being cleaned up by Mom.  Miles came in the room and wasn't the slightest bit scared of his Poppy.  He asked if he could help my Mom.  So she let him carry Poppy his medicine in a little cup.  When Dad drank all of his water, Miles said "I'll go get Poppy some more water in case he's thristy."   So he went to the kitchen and got the water and carried it back in and sat it on his bedside table.

There was also another time when I was laying in bed with Dad rubbing his arms and shoulders because he was hurting.  Miles climbed right up on the bed with us and sat with me eating something while I rubbed Dad.  It was something I wish I could've had a picture of.  My sweet boy makes all this sadness so much easier to tolerate because he's not scared and he loves his Poppy no matter what.

Seriously, I could cry.  He's so compassionate and caring.  I am so amazed that he's not scared of Poppy.  All those bags and mess on his belly don't matter to Miles because that's his Poppy and he loves him not matter what.  It's a reminder that I've done something right.  I don't know what or when I did it, but I've done good.  :-)  I don't know how I got so lucky to have such a sweet kid, but I thank my lucky stars every day for him.    

No comments: