Thursday, January 14, 2010

...everyone could sympathize with others.

Last night on American Idol, yes I still watch it, there was a girl from small-town Tennessee auditioning. It gave some of her back-story. She is very poor. Admitted that she has no life. Never goes to the movies, never shops, never does anything fun except bridge jumping which is free obviously. She had terrible teeth, probably from years of no dental insurance or a way to pay for dental care. She was just as sweet as she can be. She had just bought a dress, the first one she owned (or so she said) and it cost her a whopping $4.50.

She came into the audition room and I'm sure the judges were immediately put off by her because her appearance isn't normally what makes it through. She was SO nervous. You read it in her body language. She performed a song I love, and she did great. Not amazing, not AI winner-worthy, but way better than even I expected.

She made it to Hollywood.

She jumped for joy! She cried. She couldn't believe it. She was absolutely over the moon excited! She was tickled pink that she was going to get to go to Hollywood and ride on an "Air-o-plane".

This is where the excitement stopped for me. Not because she didn't say airplane right, but because when I went on Facebook to post about how I was crying because I was so excited for this girl and I saw that soooooo many of my friends were making fun of her. Not just one, not just a couple...many.

My heart broke. As someone who grew up in an area that had many, many people like her I found that I guess I could sympathize with her more than most. She was sweet. She was only looking for her one big break, whether or not she succeeds, she was thrilled to have just made it to Hollywood.

To someone who is poor and can't afford to eat some days, nor take a shower daily because they can't pay their water bill if they do, a trip to Hollywood on an air-o-plane is a once in a lifetime opportunity! She didn't care if she wins. She just was happy to be getting out of Vonore, TN even if only for a couple of days.

I know a lot of my friends think they know what "poor" is. They see a homeless person and think they understand, but they don't. The poor I've witnessed is wearing dirty clothes with holes in them because you can't afford better or to wash them. Eating at school only because your parents can't afford dinner. Telling your kids there won't be much for Christmas this year...again because Dad left and Mom is still sick. People in this area don't understand that. They've never witnessed "poor". To them poor is someone who wears clothes from Walmart instead of Gap or Abercrombie. That ain't poor, folks...that's not spoiled.

Anyway, it made me irrationally sad and angry that people were making fun of this girl. My heart is still broken for her and yet I'm elated that she's getting her "big break".

Good luck, lady! Make the most of it!

No comments: